So I have plans for one last regency period dress before I go. I bought a few metres cream linen with a black check fabric awhile ago.
I love linen and one of my fellow reenactors sent me this image and I was struck by the dress on the left in the background.
At some point I read a description of this image on wikipedia commons and of course I can’t find it now but I think this image was titled "Dancing at the Waystation" or something. Apparently it displays an impromptu dance at a stagecoach stopover. See how they haven’t even bothered to remove their outer garments and that one guy still holding a whip? Positively shocking behaviour!
So anyway they dress… It looks to me like there’s a square neckline with a chemisette. I’m going to make an apron front dress with elbow length sleeves like my red half-robe. I just completed an apron-front out the blue floral/striped fabric that I posted about aaaaaaages ago back February, and I made short puffed sleeves. I don’t like them. They bind awkwardly but I don’t want to make them an looser than they already are. I also really like the look of the long fitted sleeves of this example however they’re not very practical for reenacting which is basically they only scenario where I’d actually wear this. has an interesting example here where she has made a removable undersleeve for elbow length sleeves. I think I might give this a try.
My blue cotton apron-front was certainly a learning experience. Instead of posting about it alone I’ll do a comparison after I’ve completed this linen one.
Work is done for the summer and I’m sad about it. I had so much fun and I learned so much! I’m definitely going to miss it.