Sewing Update

So I’ve been doing some sewing lately and thought I’d post a few pictures.

The two main projects I’ve been working on are my Halloween costume, which will be an Edwardian witch, and a middle class 1580’s outfit from the Tudor Tailor.

I’ve been working on the smock for the Elizabethan project lately. It will be made of linen handsewn with silk and with silk blackwork on the collar and cuffs. I’ve got the body put together. Here’s a shot of (i think) one of the side seams.

And here you can see the blackwork. The smaller piece is my test piece. I found it really helpful to try it out this way first because it allowed me to iron out all the little details in the embroidery pattern as well as try out a couple of methods for transferring the pattern. The ‘good copy’ shown here will be for the collar. I haven’t made the pattern reversible because I can’t make my brain twist that way but I wanted to add a ruffle at the collar and cuffs so I’d need two layers to sandwich it between anyway.

Here’s a shot of the corset pieces for the Edwardian costume laid out on some test fabric. I honestly don’t know if I’ll get this done in time… I might just use my white Victorian corset instead. Still I’m interested in trying out the laughing moon pattern. It comes pretty highly recommended and is a bit different from the pattern I made up for my other corset.

And finally this is the plan I made up for a court tudor dress that I want to make someday. After watching the Other Boleyn Girl and a couple episodes of The Tudors in quick succession I decided I need a tudor court gown. I scanned a few images from The Tudor Tailor and fiddled with them in Photoshop to get this:

I have a piece of antique silk velvet that my grandmother gave me and its so flowy and light I though it would be perfect for the veil on the french hood. Its kind of coppery and I didn’t know how to make it look coppery in photoshop so its just brown… The gray is also supposed to imitate cloth-of-silver, but I don’t know if that would go with coppery brown. I need to pick a metallic to use for the settings of the billaments(jewels) on the hood and gown which should also coordinate with whatever fabric I use for the under-sleeves and under-skirt. Thoughts anyone? I’m open to suggestions!

Life seems pretty crazy right now. I don’t have as much time for sewing as I’d like so little progress is being made on my projects. But that’s the way it goes I guess! Thanksgiving is in two weeks (wooo! get to go home). I’m really looking forward to all the turkey festivities. Plus I get to fly home which is always exciting. Yay for no 7 hour train ride! Anyway I should probably toddle off to bed. stuff to do tomorrow and all that…

Advertisements

Leave me a Comment!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s